Pevsner, in The Buildings of England, describes Mornington Grove: On the west side tall pairs of houses c.1860; they seem unusually grand for the area. Three storeys, eclectic detail: bracketed eaves and tripartite windows which are pedimented on the ground floor, arched on the first floor. [Pevsner The Buildings of England – London 5: East p.619. Cherry, O’Brien & Pevsner, Yale University Press 2005]
Soffit – bracketed eaves:
Tri-partite windows, bracketed sill, pediment above:
Tri-partite arched windows:
Grade II listed buildings describes the houses thus: Late C19. In pairs except Nos 16 to 20 form a small terrace. Stock brick with wide bracketed eaves and soffit* to hipped** slate roofs. 3 storeys and basement, 2 windows each, centres slightly advanced on each side of shallow brick groove which divides paired houses. Ground floors with 3 light windows, stuccoed architraves bracketed sills and pediments above. 1st floors have a 3 light and a single round headed window. Above similar with flat arches. Doors arched with stucco dressings carried up into unusual keystones. Balustraded steps. Blind, full height, recessed brick arches in side facades.
*soffit: the underside of an architectural structure such as an arch, a balcony, or overhanging eaves.
** hipped roof: A hipped roof, is a type of roof where all sides slope downwards to the walls.. Thus a hipped roof house has no gables or other vertical sides to the roof.
Shallow brick groove:
Doors arched with stucco dressings carried up to unusual keystones. Balustraded steps:
Strange apparently purely ornamental, but somehow ecclesiastical pillars mark the division between houses:
Ornamented brickwork, end wall of St George’s Terrace (now 21 Mornington Grove), facing Archibald Street:
Coal hole and front porch tiling, No. 23 (formerly No. 7 St George’s Terrace):
Decorative panels beneath bow-windows on east side terrace:
Coloured decorative panes remain above some of the casement windows on the ground and first floor bays on the east side. They are original late 19th century glass that survived the Blitz 1941-2 and other interventions.