Unless otherwise specified, newspaper reports listed below are from British Newspaper Archive.
No. 1 Mornington Road
1873 Bailey, J. G. – In London Street directory, 1877 List of accountants in London. Previously at No. 7
1882 “Ladies’ College: Principal, Miss Brindle, assisted by Masters and a Resident Governess. Pupils prepared for local examinations. Kinder Garten department for juniors. A limited number of boarders received. Private lessons given.” (East London Advertiser April 1879.) In September 1882 they were advertising at this address for a ‘Governess Pupil’ who would provide ‘services’ in return for lessons in Music, French and Drawing. (Islington Gazette, 12 Sept 1882)
No. 2 Mornington Road
1861, 1863 Mrs Samuel Linder was on the ladies committee of the Society for Supplying Home Teachers and Books in Moon’s Type for the Blind, (City Press, September 1861) On 14 November 1863 she gave birth to a daughter. (Morning Post 18 Nov. 1863)
1875 Brown, Reverend Archibald Geikie. Involved in a lengthy religious controversy in the East London Observer in Spring 1875 with Rev. Richard Parnell of The Vicarage, North Bow, about the integrity of ministers who Brown alleged didn’t believe in the catechism they were teaching. Rev. Brown was the very successful minister at the East London Tabernacle in Burdett Road (from 1871). The building could seat 2,500 people. At the weekly Saturday afternoon prayer meetings at least 1,000 would attend. (East London Tabernacle website). He would organise annual events to collect donations at the Tabernacle throughout the day. “The meeting was made a very lively one, through pieces being sung by the Sunday School Choir and the young men of the Bible class alternately. These consisted of “Hold the fort,” “Brightest and best of the morning,” “The gate ajar,” “The lifeboat,” &c., the whole congregation joining most heartily in the choruses. … In about ten minutes £30 was added to the amount received during the day, the sum total being over £310. [Approx £320,000 in 2017’s money.] So, from morning to night, a stream of silver, variegated with occasional pieces of gold, flowed through the Tabernacle doors into the pastor’s hands. We do not wonder that he remarked he “always found money came in best when it was left to the people to bring it, rather than always squeezing and collecting for it.” (East London Observer, 27 Feb 1875)
1889, a Mrs. W. advertised for a general servant, aged 25 – 30, “must be a good plain cook … two in family; another servant kept; wages £16.” Applicants were instructed to apply to 2 Mornington Road, Bow, (right hand side of the road). – so by this time some of the housing on the east side must have been built. In May 1891 she was advertising for a housemaid for a wage between £12 and £14. And again in May 1891 (Islington Gazette, 24 Jan 1889, 5 May 1891))
1893 Mr Fegen, Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (M. R. C. S). Referred to in The Lancet, 26 August 1893…” The honorary secretaries, Mr. Fegen, M.R.C S., 2, Mornington road, Bow, and Mr. A. G. R. Fullerton, M.R.C.S , 122, Brompton-road, S.W., will be glad, there- fore …” (this much is available free of charge on-line….)
No. 3 Mornington Road
1863 Vospor, Alfred Samuel Mears. Vospor apparently had a sulphuric acid factory adjacent to the house. His house was invaded and occupied and virtually destroyed by men of the Holmes family in March 1865, who believed the property should be theirs. Read the full story, Singular Mode of Asserting a Claim to a House, on the “Cricket and Crime” page of this website. London Street Directories of 1865 and 1867 show Alfred Samuel Mears Vospor still in residence.
1870, 1871 Rich, Charles in London Street Directory, 1879 died of apoplexy on 11 April, aged 84. (London Evening Standard, 16 April 1879)
No. 4 Mornington Road
1880 Johnson, Edward George, Oil and Colour Man and Italian Merchant, was declared bankrupt in Lloyd’s List, 11 August 1880, and the London Gazette 27 August 1880. He also had addresses in 42 Pitfield-street, Hoxton and 103 High-street Camden.
1895 Eddington, William, in London Street Directory, in 1899 died on January 18th, aged 73 (? – second digit not quite legible) [Notice in Bristol Mercury – Saturday 21 January 1899]
No. 5 Mornington Road
1859, 1866 Smith, Percival, a manufacturing chemist, lived here in 1859, age 38, with his wife Sarah Jane, age 28, who gave birth to a son in April. (Morning Post, 20 April 1859) By 1861 census there were three children and three servants. Percival Smith died five years later, 4 June 1866 “Effects under £18,000.” [Probate]. [accessed July 2017 http://ghgraham.org/percivalsmith.html%5D
1878 House advertised “To Let, Convenient Nine-roomed House … rent £50”. March 1878. (East London Advertiser 2 March 1878)
No. 6 Mornington Road
1859 Chorley, Mrs. Elizabeth T. Her furniture and effects were auctioned at the house – comprising “capital goose-feather beds and bedding, handsome 4-post bedsteads and furniture; about 100 ounces of plate, jewellery, linen, mahogany wash-stands, with marble tops; wardrobes, chests of drawers, bed steps, fenders and fire irons, chimney, mirror, and dressing glasses; Turkey, Brussels and Kidderminster carpets; a 6-7 octave cottage piano-forte, Spanish mahogany framed chairs, chiffoniere, couches, easy chairs, Pembroke, loo, and other tables, inlaid mahogany book-case, set of Spanish mahogany dining tables, damask window curtains, clocks, engravings, books ornamental items, china and glass, large bath, with hot and cold water apparatus; kitchen requisites of the usual description, and other effects.” East London Observer, Saturday October 29 1859
1869? – Hickmott, John J, a timber merchant, with a wife Adelaide ten years his junior… [From Hickmott Family site listing, further text apparently not available on-line.] There is mention of man named Hickmott attending a meeting of Mile End Old Town Board of Guardians in Tower Hamlets Independent and East End Local Advertiser – Saturday 09 January 1869. They discussed the maintenance of pauper children. 1882 John Joseph Hickmott Jnr listed in London Street Directory.
No. 7 Mornington Road
1859 – 1871 Bailey, Joseph Graham, accountant and insurance agent, listed repeatedly in London Street Directories. In 1870 as secretary of a fund to raise money to pay off debts incurred building St Stephen’s Old Ford, listed in the East London Observer in June 1870 and other times. Later at No. 1 Mornington Road.
1881 Griesell, Frederick, a warehouseman, gave this address to the court in November 1881, accused of violent assault against Mrs Emily Samuel and Georgina Baxter. “As they were walking along Bow Road, the Prisoner put his arms round the Complainant’s neck and otherwise misconducted himself. Georgina Baxter… indignantly remonstrated with him about his conduct, when he told her if she did not get away he would strike her. She then said, “Oh, no, you won’t,” and had no sooner uttered the words than he struck Mrs Samuel three violent blows…” (London Evening Standard, 3 Nov 1881)
No. 8 Mornington Road
1874 Long, John. He was a director of ‘The Richard Green’ building and investment society, head office in Fenchurch Street, 4 July 1874. (East London Observer, 4 July 1874)
1895 Wyatt, Reverend John Thomas, in London Street Directory. – Chaplain of Bow Cemetery – Interviewed 1897. [Charles Booth’s notebooks to his survey of London, Nonconformist Churches District 12, p.78-103. LSE library]
No. 9 Mornington Road
1861 Ling, Charles Alfred. His wife had a daughter on 8th January 1861 (Morning Post 11 Jan 1861)
1874 Masson, Capt. His wife gave birth to a daughter on 20 Oct. 1874 (Morning Post 26 Oct 1874) The London Street Directories 1870 – 1875 have the resident at this address as Captain Peter McIntyre.
1886 Hunt, John Rider, a builder and contractor at St Paul’s Works, St Paul’s Road, Bow Common was living here when subject to the ruling of the High Court of Justice in Bankruptcy, case No. 709 of 1886. “Last day for receiving proofs: April 19, 1887 [London Gazette, April 1 1887]
No. 10 Mornington Road
1859 – 1865 Robertson, John. London Street Directories. His wife had a daughter on 16 January 1861 – shortly after their neighbour at no. 9. (Morning Post, 18 Jan. 1861).
No. 11 Mornington Road
1861 Hide, Thomas Comings. His wife had a son on 13th June 1861. (Morning Post, 27 June 1861). London Street Directories have them here till 1865.
1867 – 1875 William James Murray in London Street Directories. 1871, the resident at this address was advertising for “General Servant – Wanted a thoroughly respectable Person, in a private family, about 24 to 30, able to do plain cooking: must be an early riser and have good character; no bed rooms, boots or knives; good wages.” (Clerkenwell News – 6 February 1871). And in 1875 the resident at this address was advertising for “Governess (good) required for two children, aged 9 and 10, for 2 ½ hours daily (Morning).” (East London Advertiser 31 Jul 1875)
No. 12 Mornington Road
1883 Foskett, Robert, Listed 1883 in Essex Field Club archives. (www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/archivetext/s/042/o/0262)
No. 13 Mornington Road
1884 Flavelle, Thomas, a commercial traveller, died on 9 January 1884. Effects: £159.12s 6d. He was formerly of Leeson Park County Dublin, afterwards of Warrenpoint County Down. Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) were granted to:
1884 Calder, Grace Lynn, wife of David Calder. Her address also 13 Mornington Road.
1901 Morton, Hugh. In 1891, Hugh Morton senior was running a draper’s business at 40 Bow Road Bromley Bow. He and Jessie had eight children,. In 1901, the draper’s business (specialising in Linen) and Morton family home was at 13, Mornington Road, Bromley Bow. Only 3 children, Alexander aged 21; Grace aged 13 and Hugh aged 12 were still living at home. There was also another draper’s shop belonging to the family at 187, Bow Road. Hugh Morton senior died on the 19th July 1906 aged 62 when young Hugh was just 16 years old. Probate was granted to his widow Jessie Morton, his eldest son John Morton, also a draper and James Robert Morton M.B., his second eldest son. Hugh Morton senior left effects to his family which amounted to the sum of £5723 -7s-6d. (From an interesting illustrated article about Hugh Morton, with much content about drapers in East London accessed on 23 July 2017 – HERE
1894, 1898 Mrs Alfred Jay – an entry in the Jewish Chronicle, 9.3.1894, returns thanks to father Israel Cohen. On June 30th 1898 the wife of A. Percy Cohen had a daughter, at Mornington Road, Bow, though the announcement in The Era doesn’t specify the house number. (The Era, 2 July 1898)
No. 14 Mornington Road
1884 Vane, George Booth. – an accountant, got into a dispute with Drury Lane Theatre, reclaiming money for a box the theatre had double-booked. When his wife and children got to the theatre they found the box already occupied by another lady and eight children – they had to go home without seeing the performance. (Lloyd’s Weekly Newspaper, 16 March 1884)
1894, 1897 Roe, Reverend David, Wesleyan Minister. He wrote a letter to the Editor of The Hastings and St Leonards Observer – Saturday 29 December 1894: “STARVING POOR OF EAST LONDON Sir, Accept my grateful thanks for kindly placing my appeal in your valuable paper, and please allow me to acknowledge from “A well-wisher,” 7s. 6d.; A.M.; “a tiny offering from a friend in Hastings for the benefit of the poor in your parish,” 10s. I desire, on behalf of my poor brothers and sisters in this over-crowded part of London, many of whom have been overtaken by sickness and misfortune, to express my heartfelt thanks, and trust that others may be found in lovely Hastings and its picturesque surroundings who will entrust me with some small portion of their gifts, either cash or clothing, on behalf of the suffering poor and the starving children for whom I plead. I am, Mr Editor, emboldened to appeal through you for a little help, as many in Hastings know me and my work, and if any friend would like to come on a tour of inspection I shall be pleased to act as guide. Yours truly, (REV.) DAVID ROE, 14 Mornington-road, Bow. E.” Another similar letter in January 1895. Rev. Roe still lived at this address in 1897. [Charles Booth’s notebooks to his survey of London, Miscellaneous District 12, p.146-171. LSE library]
Bryant, Charles Clement, Wesleyan Minister, who entered ministry in 1875, died 1926, also lived at some time at this address, with S A Bryan, Annie Blanch Bryant, C Bowden Bryant and H N B Bryant. – listed in a directory of Wesleyan Ministers.
No. 15 Mornington Road
1865 Mr James Martin Dunstan– a witness to the burglary at No. 16, Aug 1865 (London Evening Standard, 31 Aug 1865) Remains in London Street Directories to 1875.
1887 Young, Ernest A. “Bow Emmanuel Workers’ Society, Flower and Picture Distribution Branch.” A letter to the Isle of Wight County Press: “Sir, we feel sure the work of brightening the homes of the poor must receive the sympathy of all your readers, and therefore ask, on behalf of those living in the courts and alleys of East London, that you will grant the following appeal a corner in your valuable paper. Our aim is to create in our poorer neighbours, who know nothing of the pleasures of the country, a love for cultivating flower, and to enable them, in their leisure time, to convert their window-sills into gardens of bright refreshing colour, and decorate their homes by the introduction of nature and art. May I therefore venture to ask your readers for their sympathy and support in this mission? We shall be glad to receive for distribution bunches of flowers, pot or garden flowers, and pictures or other suitable ornaments. As much expense is incurred from the purchase of window-boxes, picture frames, etc., donations or subscriptions would materially help us in our endeavours. All parcels and letters should be addressed to the manager, Ernest A. Young, 15, Mornington-road, Bow, E, or to your obedient servant, Alfred W Bevis, hon. Sec., 115 Malmesbury-road, Bow. [Isle of Wight County Press and South of England Reporter – Saturday 28 May 1887. A similar letter in Bucks Herald – Saturday 04 June 1887] A similar letter, reporting a generous response to a previous such appeal, had been placed in North Devon Journal – Thursday 12 May 1887. London Street Directories give the name as Reverend Thomas Adam Young in 1882 and 1895.
No. 16 Mornington Road
1865 Vaux, Cuthbert, shipowner and captain, and his wife, who sacked their servant Mary Buckingham, September 1865, following a burglary that took place whilst Mr. and Mrs Vaux were away in Bremen. (London Evening Standard, 31 Aug. 1865, The Era, 1 Oct. 1865). Details of the ‘crime’ can be read on the “Cricket and Crime” page. They are listed in street directories resident here in 1863 through to 1873.
1895 Livingstone Medical Missionary Training College, Chas. F. Harford-Battersby, M.A., M.D. principal. (1895 London Post Office Directory) Harford-Battersby and his wife lived across the road at No. 33. He was author of various books, perhaps the best known is a biography of a British missionary shot in Uganda, Pilkington of Uganda, published in 1899.
No. 17 Mornington Road
1863, 1866 Archer, William. His only daughter, Marian, married J. Ross of Albert Square, Stepney on August 5 1863. (Bell’s Weekly Messenger, 8 Aug 1863). He died on 10th October 1866. (London Evening Standard, 12 Oct. 1866) In November his effects were sold by auction: “mahogany pillar, four-post and Arabian style bedsteads, full feather beds and bedding, mahogany chests of drawers, handsome winged wardrobe with plate centre panel, marble-top washstands, cane-seat and other chairs, dressing-glasses and dressing tables, walnut-tree drawing-room suite covered in damask, handsome walnut-tree chiffonier with plate-glass back and panels, sofa, chairs, loo tables, damask curtains, mahogany extending dining-table, mahogany chairs, sofa, dinner waggon, chimney glasses, fine-toned 6 ½ octave cottage pianoforte in rosewood case, Brussels carpets, mahogany hall chairs, hat and umbrella stand, and the usual kitchen requisites; also a bay horse, harness, brougham and gig.” (Morning Advertiser, Oct 19 1866)
1870 – 1882 Withers Mrs., in London Street Directories. 1892 Withers, Frederick John. In January 1892 he supported a collection for a retiring long-serving fireman from Kennington, Mr. William Port. (South London Press, 9 Jan 1892) But by 20 May 1892 his will had been proved. He bequeathed to his brother Henry Thomas Withers all the property which he possessed. Should his brother predecease him, then two-thirds of his estate he bequeathed for placing a stained-glass window into the church of St. Mary Overy (St. Saviour’s), Southwark, to the memory of his father Henry Withers; the remaining third to the restoration fund of the church of St. Bartholomew the Great. (But his brother did not predecease him.) [St Bart’s records]
1892 21 June someone at the address is advertising for a housemaid. (London Evening Standard)
No. 18 Mornington Road
1867 Harper Twelvetrees, (1823-1881), listed in London Street Directory. A manufacturing chemist and drysalter, industrialist who managed works at Imperial Works, Bromley-by-Bow. He was in the bankruptcy court in 1868, adjudicated bankrupt on 24th May, his address being given as ‘late of 18, Mornington Road, Bow.’ His company was responsible for developing and marketing Penny Patent Soap Powder and Glycerine Spa Power (to wash clothes) and Eggs and Butter Powder (for cooking). He had written a book in 1863, The Story of the Life of John Anderson, the Fugitive Slave. His laundry soap was advertised as the ‘abolition of the horrors of washing day’. His bankruptcy was discharged in November 1868, his address then being given as Upper Abbey Street, Dublin.
There was an auction at 18 Mornington Road ‘without the least reserve’ on 6 Sept. 1867, presumably these were Harper Twelvetrees’s things: “Household Furniture and Effects of the above eleven-roomed residence, comprising superior chimney and dressing-glasses, chests of drawers, handsome mahogany Arabian and iron bedsteads and fittings, mahogany-framed chairs, a handsome drawing-room suite covered in green velvet, loo and other tables, three whatnots, a superior 6 ¾ octave rosewood cottage pianoforte, Brussels carpets, rugs, oil paintings and prints, two office tables, Spanish mahogany wardrobe with plate-glass panels, bookcases, two gilt clocks under shades, gasfittings, two portable mangles, two wringing machines, costly double lantern by Cox, and the entire kitchen and laundry effects.” (Clerkenwell News – 29 July 1868) (Morning Post 29 January 1869) (Wikipedia)
1895 House to be let, advertised in the London Evening Standard, 29 April 1895, “for about five years; best part of Bow: breakfast room, three reception and four bedrooms; box-room, ususal offices; rent moderate, close to rail, omnibus and tram.
No. 19 Mornington Road
1863 June 19th , “excellent household furniture” was sold by auction, “including feather beds, bedding, bedsteads, and usual bedroom appendages, a 6 ¾ octave grand pianoforte by Broadwood, 6 ¼ octave cottage ditto in walnut case, drawing-room suite in rosewood, carved rosewood chiffonier, sets of dining tables, handsome window hangings, chimney glasses, china and cut glass, prints and paintings, ornaments, table and bed linen, about 40 doz. of Port, Sherry, and Claret, 70lbs of Congou tea, kitchen utensils, and other effets… Catalogues may be had at The Little Driver and New Globe Taverns; and at the Auctioneer’s Offices, Mile-end-road.” (Morning Advertiser June 16 1863)
1877, 1879, 1880 Spears, Rev. Robert. Unitarian Minister. In May 1877 you could apply to him for a course in Stepney Green of Twenty Lessons in Plain Cookery. “East End Lessons on Cookery by The South Kensington National Training School”. “Reserved seats for the course, 10 shillings; second class reserved seats, 3 shillings. Admission to each lesson to the unreserved seats, 2d.” (East London Observer 5 May 1877). 1 March 1879, reported in East London Observer, he delivered an address at the Tower Hamlets Liberal Club in Beaumont Square on Tuesday night on “Religion and Politics” “Did religion influence the conduct of our politicians, a State Church, as a gross injustice to others, could no longer be allowed to exist; – Englishmen would not now be butchering barbarians in Afghanistan and Zululand on the flimsiest of pretexts; arbitration would supplant war; trade lying and deception would be suppressed and there would be no drones in the national hive living on the honey which the working bees produced. The reverend gentleman was accorded a vote of thanks at the close of his address.” In April 1880 he was advertising the “Best and cheapest book of the season – the complete works of Dr Channing. 848 pages for 1s 4d (one shilling and four pence).” (The Globe, 22 April 1880)
No. 20 Mornington Road
1876 Brown, A. O. His wife, Sarah Dawson, died age 28, September 20 1876, a few days after their son who lived only a few hours. (The Daily News, 25 Sept 1876)
1876, 1879, 1880, 1884, 1918 Brookes, R. Philpot. His wife gave birth to a stillborn daughter 5 February 1876, but then to a daughter, April 2 1879. (London Evening Standard, 10 Feb 1876, 7 April 1879) In October 1879 Mrs Brookes advertising for “a general servant; family, two and child; nursemaid kept; good wages to a thorough servant. In August 1880 she had a son, and in January 1884 she had another son. (London Evening Standard 23 Oct 1879, 13 Aug 1880, 12 Jan 1884). In 1918 Robert Philpot Brookes attended the inquest into the suicide of his sister, Henrietta Elizabeth Philpott Brookes, who had poisoned herself, aged 68, at her lodgings in Cheltenham. [Gloucestershire Echo – Friday 07 June 1918] Robert Brookes was one of the longest staying residents in the street. Here appears on street directory in 1875, and is still here over 40 years later.
1887 Theobold, E advertises for Housemaid, 1887 – 14/. – 16/. (London Evening Standard 22 Sept 1887). Maybe he was an agent hiring on behalf of the Brookes’s.
Here ends the west-side, turn back along the east side, south to north:
No. 9 St George’s terrace – renumbered 1892 No. 21 Mornington Road
No. 8 St George’s terrace – renumbered 1892 No. 22 Mornington Road
No.3 St George’s terrace – renumbered 1892 No. 27 Mornington Road
No. 2 St George’s terrace – renumbered 1892 No. 28 Mornington Road
No. 1 St George’s terrace – renumbered 1892 No. 29 Mornington Road then demolished for the Whitechapel and Bow Railway c. 1900
No. 26 Mornington Road renumbered 1892 No. 30, then demolished for the Whitechapel and Bow Railway c. 1900
1894 Ellerby, Edith A. She is recorded as having written a letter of condolence to Prof. William Roberston Smith’s mother April – May 1894. He was Professor of Oriental Languages and Old Testament Exegesis, Free Church College, Aberdeen, [University of Aberdeen, Special Collections] 1895 Post Office Directory has Charles Herbert Ellerby.
No. 25 Mornington Road 1892 renumbered No 31, then demolished for the Whitechapel and Bow Railway about 1900)
post-1882 Cannan, Dr. David – born in Pernambuco, Brazil, son of Horatius James, a merchant from Scotland. Educated at Birkenhead, David enrolled at the University 1880, attending classes in Greek, Latin, Mathematics, senior Greek & Logic, Natural Philosophy, English Literature, and Moral Philosophy, Chemistry and Anatomy. He graduated MA in 1884. In session 1881-82, Cannan was awarded a prize for senior Greek Class. He is believed to have studied medicine in London, where he would work as a physician and surgeon with the exception of a brief interlude in the USA. His last known address was 25 Mornington Road Bow. [University of Glasgow archives]
No. 24 Mornington Road 1892 renumbered No. 32, then demolished for the Whitechapel and Bow Railway about 1900)
Pre- 1881 Wootton, Andrew Peter, a builder, was some time resident at this address, though later in Surrey and finally in Ramsgate, died 28 December 1881, a notice from the executors of his will for any who have claim on his estate, in the Thanet Advertiser, 25 March 1882
No.23 Mornington Road – renumbered 1892 No. 33, then demolished for the Whitechapel and Bow Railway about 1900)
1876, 1877 Harrison, Francis George. His eldest daughter, Eliza Abra (Lizzie) married William Taylor of Addington Road, Bow on 29th April 1876. (The Globe, 4 March 1876) But then Mr Harrison appeared in court in December 1877, charged with having ridden in a superior class of carriage to that for which he had a ticket. An inspector saw the accused jump into a second class carriage at Bow Station, rode in the same carriage to London and then give up a third class ticket. Mr Harrison said he travelled to London to attend a meeting of directors and, being late, jumped into a second class carriage. Sir T Gabriel said he considered the defendant’s conduct very discreditable for a man in his position, and he fined him the full penalty of 40 shillings and costs. (The Globe, 18 Dec 1877)
1888 Carman, Maria and Horatius James Carman. “High Court Chancery Division: -in the Matter of the Great Northern Salt and Chemical Works Limited. By an Order made by Mr Justice Stirling in the above matter, dated 24th day of November, 1888, on the petition of Maria Carman, of No. 23 Mornington-road, Bow, in the county of Middlesex, the Wife of Horatius James Carman, a contributory of the above-named Company, it was ordered that the said Great Northern Salt and Chemical Works Limited be wound up by this Court under the provisions of the Companies Acts, 1862 and 1867, Snell, Son and Grump, Solicitors for the Petitioner.” (London Gazette, 4 Dec 1888)
1891, Isaacs, Morris B, his wife gave birth to a son on 31 December. [Announcement the Northern Whig, 5 January 1892)
1894 March 31st, British Medical Journal announced that the wife of Charles F. Harford-Battersby, M.D. Cantab. M.R.C.S Eng., had a son on 27th March who had died at birth. Harford-Battersby was principal the the Livingstone Medical Missionary Training College whose premises were across the road at No. 16. Acquiring both No. 16 and No. 33 must have been an expensive business, shortly to be abandoned due to the advent of the District Line.
No. 5 St Leonards Terrace renumbered 1892 No. 44 Mornington Road
1897 Dore, James B. From Names and addresses of the members and officers of the Board of Works for the Poplar District 1893. James Dore was due to retire that position in 1897.
Unless otherwise specified, newspaper reports listed above are from British Newspaper Archive.